BYU vs. UMASS what is the gameplan?

you know, tharimer, we could be Utah and tasting the Rose nectar only to have it turn into bitter tears. Watch what Utah says after Colorado beats them…

Our heart wasn’t in it or better yet Kyristowhack told us to “play it safe”

It isn’t the “wrong analysis”, it is a statement of fact. I disagree with your analysis completely. Yes, there are occasions where the receiver isn’t WIDE OPEN and that makes it tough to be on target. But what about the times where the receiver has been wide open (and yes, there have been several this season) and Hill just misses the throw because it is too long or off to the side or, and this has happened multiple times, way short.

If you don’t remember all of those instances, then you have selective memory. I agree with you that he should have been able to use his legs more because that is his game, but that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about the accuracy of his throws and the truth is that he is wildly inconsistent in his throws. Sometimes he hits the receivers in stride and it looks great but not consistently. He is often behind the receiver, too far in front of the receiver, too short and into the ground or way too long, often over the head of the receiver by large distances.

It’s okay to say it.

I honestly believe that Detmer told Hill he would do everything he could to help prepare him for a potential shot at the nfl, but Hill’s game isn’t tailored for that possibility. Why? because he just isn’t consistently an accurate passer. Also, he doesn’t go through his progressions very well. He is an intramural style QB who manufactures things when the play breaks down, so much to the point that I think Hill feels more comfortable when the play does break down and he has to make something happen with his legs or a scrambling throw.

Hill has been a very good qb overall but he has weaknesses, particularly when it comes to passing the ball. Detmers offense did not tailor itself to Hill’s game, he tried to get Hill to adjust to his offense and there were lots of growing pains, too many early in the season, and that is what made it another woulda coulda shoulda type year. As I have watched games this season, that is what I believe happened.

Your last paragraph is the only part that made any sense. The reason for Hill’s struggle is the offense, especially early on.
He has a 61% pass completion. As far as looking and checking, even in the last game the announcers were marveling the fact he read and checked 3 or 4 times before throwing or running. He doesn’t just throw to the first option.
And, his receivers just don’t get open. Their routs are run lazily with little quickness. And the deep ball? When he does hit his man, #1, he drops it. So, that’s a mute point in the discussion.

Scott,

Hill Passing completion for this year is 60% but his passing efficiency rating is 118.8. (#1 efficiency is Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma at 194.7)

using the passing efficiency rating as a way to rate a QB is better because it takes into account all aspects of being a QB. Taysom is 95 in the country right now… out of 106…

That is not “good”…

Stats only point out where something exists. Not the reason why. I’m trying reason out why he has done what he has done.