BYU football reboot, the receivers

Last year Mangum was slow, on his feet and in his decision making. Then he reacted faster and made incredibly poor decisions. Inaccurate throws and a terrible OK. If BYU plans are starting a new era, they can’t take the most experienced venue. They have to take whoever creates the most plays in the next few weeks. The wait and see attitude could trash their season. Mangum has Lost weight, maybe he will look better now, but from the snap on, he looked plodding and tentative . I’m trusting Grimes to make the right call even if it’s Wilson. I would take a 500 season if it gave the qb the experience to make BYU a factor the next three years

sundance,

regading: "They have to take whoever creates the most plays in the next few weeks. " I totally agree with this.

also regarding: I’m trusting Grimes to make the right call even if it’s Wilson." I also totally agree with this.

and finally regarding: I would take a 500 season if it gave the qb the experience to make BYU a factor the next three years" I also totally agree with this.

I think that we will have a 6-6 season regardless of which of the four top quarterbacks we have starting.
Whlle the pre season polls has 6 teams ranked above us, there are a couple teams ranked not far below us.
I thiink that the probability of wining 1 or 2 upset games ranked above us is about the same as the probability of losing to a couple of those teams ranked not far below us. Those ranked above us has a much greater spread in points than the two closet teams ranked below us.

I believe that we should be proud of a 6-6 season showing a two game improvement in the win column over last season. I think that we will be headed in the correct direction. I think that if we can get a 7-5 season this year it will be a great season. I see a 8-4 season as possible but not probably. I’m okay with that.

If all else is E Q U A L in Fall practice between Mangum and the other 3 top contenders, I would like to see Mangum get the nod for the first game vs, Arizona. If he does well, win or lose a close one looking good, He should go to be the starter for the Cal game. If he does not look well in a loss to Arizona, I think the next choice should take his place. The operative word here is E Q U A L. This does not take away from your posting that

“They have to take whoever creates the most plays in the next few weeks. "
" I’m trusting Grimes to make the right call even if it’s Wilson.”
" I would take a 500 season if it gave the qb the experience to make BYU a factor the next three years"

Your three suggestions are the first: M U S T. My suggestion is that if all things are equal, I would have my favorite as mentioned above. Thank you for your post.

Well the thing is Ron, that in trusting Grimes, I absolutely will not dispute his decision in this forum or anywhere else. No matter who gets the start, and whether it works or not, I believe he will make the correct decision at this time. I believe BYU did a great job in putting this package of coaches together. I am more concerned about the defensive side than anything else. Anyway, it will be fun to see how the competition goes, not only at qb, but running backs and receivers. Looking forward to next week

Sun Dance,
I do believe that we are on the same page as our thinking seems to agree with each other.

5 more, (working days), starts Fall Practice 8/3/18. It will be exciting to watch each day. Let’s compare notes
on each days practice. May the B E S T men competing for the starting positions be recognized and chosen for those positions, regardless whom those best men might be.

Ron

Total agreement. That’s what I liked about Edwards. I have a hard time envisioning Jimmy MAC in today’s confusion

I agree with Rubicon! Take away the 2 hail
Mary’s and look at the talent around him and
One thing Tanner had was lots of inaccurate passes. He gets rattled easily and he can’t react quickly. My prediction is that he will never be a good QB at the Y.

He just doesn’t have the IT factor.

While being shocked at Jim’s press conferences where they had to bleep out the F word from each sentence, as he had a lit cirgar in one hand, and a can of beer in the other, I am still very gratefull that we had him on our team.

As I drive through the streets of Provo, I see far more weird behavior coming from those that drink alcohol than I see in any other state.

I believe that when someone that does not share our values, (in their mind, true or fase), are forced to live by our values, than they tend to rebel, to act out, and to do things in a negative way that they would never do anywhere else.

I greatly appreciate the tolerance and the forgiving that Lavel had for his players.

I am not sure what the answer to the problem is, but I think this is an area that if we want to improve, there is much that we can do.

thawk and Rubicon,

As you know, Mangum was going through some hard times. He spoke about his bouts with depression. It damaged him to take a back seat on the bench, a demotion so to speak, from when he was the starter.

That was than and this is now. I believe that we should all have an open mind. Fall Practice starts 8/3/18,
just a few days from now. I hope that we can all put our trust in both the OC and the QB coach to pick the best man on the job, based on what they see during this month of practice.

Tanner can have all the excuses in the world. He gets flustered in the pocket and he can’t reqct quickly enough. He is NOT the QB of the future at the Y.

we have a 500 season…if we get the right QB in there. We try to please the Tanner crowd and we may have another bad year.

Luckily there is no quit in BYU football even if we are losing a lot of games. We have the talent, we have the exp. now we just need the right QB in there.

To me Joe Critchlow is the real deal as starting QB. I like what Ed Lamb had to say about Critchlow as the starting QB, Mangum as back uo, because of his lack of confidence and lack of be able to deliver in the clutch. With Mangum as QB BYU is always playing from behind. Critchlow on the other hand shows better confidence and a physical presence lacking in Mangum in 2017.