BSU and why we lost a completely winnable game

BYU was penalized out of about 3 TDs. I saw the so called hold by Hadley, there was none.

BYU was the better team out there, just too many drive ending flags. how many times have we played these jokers and lost in the last play or shot ourselves in the head? This crap has got to stop, its all mental.

Wilson is about as lethal QB as BYU will ever get. He is a deceptive runner with NFL arm strength. He is also the youngest QB to ever start at BYU and it showed in the NIU game and in the BSU game with a exclamation on that last down.

Hats off to the BYU defense, they more then held the game in check until our offense got it going in the 2nd.
That Blue Turf should outlawed, allowing BSU to wear total blue in that turf should be outlawed.

Why not more El Bakri? We see him in a few plays and he rocks…we need more.

Hadley has a lot of heart.

In a game that did not matter, it sure hurts…Utah lost Huntley (clavacal) BYU has more then a chance.

OH, yeah, Grimes should be fired for calling those last 2 plays at the end. We can do why better then that and we should not be putting so much on a Fr QB with the game on the line.

Now maybe the coaches said, “throw it away, kid and live for another play” but apparently they did not say it in the, “Now, repeat after me” form

I agree with what you say. What is it about the 5 yardline. Bushman fumbles onnthe 5. Penalties on the 5. Last game too! Why do we have Hadley in when we need a more experienced, faster and bigger back inside the 5?
Back earlier, why did Grimes put Hall in? Made no sense.
What I think I also saw is Wilson has great talent. But, to me, his passes came up really short at the end due to fatigue. He ran out of gas. Just an observation. Next year he will be in better shape and make it through entire games.

I believe some of those were intentionally low to avoid interceptions and most should have been caught anyway as Collies hit him right in the numbers

2nd and two and third and two were horrible time wasting calls and only Wilson’s athleticism got the first down. Lots of strange calls the last two games. Too bad-probably the difference in the win/loss. Better hope BYU sucks it up at UMASS and shows up to play. OL has been a little disappointing lately with all their miscues

After watching the BSU game, I was completely encouraged about the future of BYU football. After the NIU game, I was almost in fandom despair. Such is life with a Rookie QB running the show.

1 Like

Yes but it was the rookie keeping us in the game. Think of Tanner trying to make those plays and you will feel much better😉

1 Like

Right on Sundance. Wilson is not only better than Tanner, but he is better than the BYU coaching staff.

we are all on the same page when it comes to Wilson as the starter. He is night and day better then Tanner ever was…But I will defend the coaches on this one. They did have the right play, Wilson just did not do that he was supposed to do…er, fr.mistake.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900040300/■■■■-harmon-why-byu-came-up-just-shot-against-boise-state-on-road.html

"Wilson was supposed to pass the ball on that play but was given the option to run. He saw no one open and tried to run it in as Boise State defenders closed down and tackled him short of the goal.
Immediately, receivers coach Fesi Sitake met Wilson on the field, his hands on both sides of the QB’s helmet and went over what had happened. It was a teaching moment.
“It was a two-concept route. Nothing was open. I should have been smart and thrown it out of the end zone,” said Wilson. “I just checked both my routes.
“You learn something new every day,” said Wilson. “I should have thrown it away. I got to know that. It was a freshman mistake, and I have to hold myself accountable to make that play. It is too bad we came up short.”

I have said all along, “you can’t leave it up to a Fr. QB to make the right call”. You have to INSTRUCT them at that moment. When BSU calls the timeout, you tell the kid. We have 7 seconds and 2 DOWNS- 2 Downs. Pass it or throw it out of the endzone but don’t run it unless you are wide open or we are screwed. We 2 downs to win it.
That is where I come down on the coaching staff…certainly not that they are incompetent, just that they blew that one.

Wilson will never forget that moment and this point will get drilled into his head once he gets in the film room and the coaches point out that…Wilson was sacked 7 times for more then 50 yards.

Wait until you see Hall, he is as good if not better than Wilson… Not sure how they will work out next year, but either one of them would make BYU better.

Hopefully our youthful Lineman will also learn to play without doing stupid things…

Speaks volumes for Sitake and Grimes evaluating talent and the future of BYU football.

Go cougs……WIN OUT

The problem with holding calls, it is pure subjective, I seen a lot of calls made, but on replay, I am there scratching my head…

I watch the play in the Arizona State/Utah game where Hundley got hurt. I am pretty sure the ASU guy targeted Hundley, he made contract with his helmet at the shoulder area, classic targeting… Interesting how the PAC-12 is now not calling targeting as much.

OR
Wilson being a true freshman, “forgot” what was told to him and thought he could make it to end zone… Freshman players seems to have short term memories.

1 Like

I am happy that Wilson was eventually allowed into the starting lineup. Ever since I went to the practice and reported back to all of you … I knew we had 2 legit QBs on the roster who were going to have way more up side than Tanner. I am not knocking Tanner by saying that others are better than he is. My fear is that Hall or Wilson May transfer because they are both top NCAA QB’s. They aren’t going to sit around and not play. Wilson is going through a steep learning curve which should have started at game one of this season. Coaches just pulled a bone head move in not putting Wilson on the field until everyone was about to mutiny and leave the football program for good. Hall could have come in a few games this year also if we hadn’t wasted the time on Tanner.

Bronco left us with very little talent in the pipeline. He wasn’t as good of a recruiter as Sitake is. However he is a better defensive coach. The problem appears to be our offense. Offensive issues plagued Bronco too. Thank heavens that Taysom showed up and Michael Alyssa broke his arm so that Williams had to be put on the field. Can you imagine if Alyssa hadn’t gotten hurt? Williams would have missed the remaining part of that year and at least another full year. An NFL running back that couldn’t break into Broncos lineup! Bronco amazed me
at how poor he was at offensive talent evaluation but he was great on defensive schemes. I am more than a little worried that the offensive coaches just might not figure it out with this BYU team. I would make phone call to Darrel Bevel and feel out his interest!!!

I know what you are saying and agree about both Bronco and Sitake being defensive minded. I would throw Witt in there too, some 18 OCs in 20 seasons. I’ve said it many times, Bronco was good for BYU but he had plateaued and was not going to get any better. Sitake does recruit talent and that will show more and more. The verdict on Grimes is still out there, We won’t know about him for another year, at least/

BYU is also starting 7 freshmen, don’t recall a time in the last 20 years and then add that your QB is the youngest to ever start at BYU.

BYU goes bowling and we are looking good for next year…a lot to cheer about.

IF Sitake was actually running the defense, we might be better, but Iutaki (sp?) who is our current DC, needs to be replaced in my opinion… Although I will say he has done better the last few weeks, the defense is not the problem right now.

Floyd, I think Sitake is more involved than you think in the DC decision making processes over the last 3 weeks. He knows that people are not happy with the DC and he is trying to save DC job for his pal. They have looked better … but the offense and defense still appear on shaky ground. I can take a close loss as long as there is improvement.

“New NCAA Redshirt Rule” - Hall redshirting? He may play those 3 remaining games (non starter) or just against NM State when we have a big lead. He won’t burn his redshirt season.

I read Wilson quoted saying, “to be honest it didn’t cross my mind.” Now, I’m only a lowly middle school coach, but I’m paid, and my OC is paid, and if we EVER let a QB leave the sideline in that situation without tattooing “if it’s not open immediately, throw it into the 5th row” on his forehead, I’d expect the principal to fire us both and donate our salaries to a remedial coaching fund.

1 Like