As I see it, BYU Football has 3 Options

Rubivon,

You have me totally confused!!!

“convergence of offensive/defensive evolution, NCAA landscape (including super conferences and more insulation from those on the fringes), and shifts in society all mean that it will be harder and harder for BYU to win 8-9+ games again.” WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?

“Barring innovation akin to what happened in the 1970s - 1990s with BYU, although I can’t imagine what offensive/defensive innovation is yet undiscovered.” ???

" I’ve made it clear that I am not advocating dropping down, " " (after time has told) we need to drop down )"
" there are factors at play that will make it so that it will never “be the same again” for BYU as far as competitiveness in football."

SO IN PLAIN SIMPLE WORDS, WHAT ARE YOU FOR AND WHAT ARE YOU AGAINST?

I agree with Rubicon. What you says makes total sense. It’s not giving up - it’s accepting a new reality. To use a broad example, we should start dating girls that might actually want to go out with us instead of getting rejected constantly and thinking we should tinker with our pick-up lines to achieve a different result.

1 Like

Totally agree! Many people want to run and hide. But winners keep working harder. I think Sitaki will and I think we will have a good team next year. Receivers are getting better and the running backs too. The question will be the QB.

Don’t you think we are over reacting just a bit? Yes, this has been hard to watch. Growing pains in the coaching staff, injuries, lack of leadership on the offense, off- the- field problems. BYU has had losing seasons before. There are ways to go here that don’t spell doom and gloom for the football program. There are rational fans here that understand football and know that BYU operates under a handicap, but they always have. There are others not so rational that expect undefeated or one loss seasons against P5 competition. Last year was a good year-good record-good competition-in every game with a chance to win. Yet still the dissatisfaction not having Mangum start when some knew he wasn’t ready, second guessing coaches, conspiracy theories. Well Mangum has been exposed even as he was in the bowl game last year. Truth Being he has a good arm, but he is slow, at times inaccurate, poor under pressure, bad decision making all a part of the miserable offensive showing. Coaches in a difficult spot as to what to do with who was supposed to run your offense the next two years. Team gets down, no fire, no reason to give that extra effort. As weird as it seems, the most difficult part of this season has been the defense. I thought they would be one of the best ever-not even close. Yet, there are bright spots, running back, tight end, a couple of good receivers. I’m willing to stay the course and see what happens the rest of the year and next year. Mendenhall gave you winning seasons and bowl games and a feeling you were better than you really were and that wasn’t good enough for many of you. Fire the coaches, but Sitaki is a Edwards prototype who cares about his players. He is a good fit imo. The rest are expendable-make some changes-change the mindset of the team. Everyone is rooting for BYU, especially THE PROGRAMS THAT RELY ON BYU FOOTBALL to fund their own sports😉

Like one of the Larimer boys said, I’m simply for having realistic expectations, given all of the different factors. I would like to try to align a division/conference with other G5 teams, and I am open to dropping down in division years down the road if that’s what it takes to continue to compete in BYU sports.

We are still getting 3 and 4 star athletes. I see no reason to drop down.
With respect to the offense, we don’t risk enough. I think that is because Tanner has been afraid or confused when to throw the mid range and deep passes. Also, Ty is hesitant to call the plays with Tanner. That’s why we need to see Critchlow have a chance to play in the remaining games. If Hoge is available let him play too.

[quote=“grasshopper, post:26, topic:7684, full:true”]
We are still getting 3 and 4 star athletes. I see no reason to drop down. [/quote]

I don’t, either. Right now. I think things could trend in that direction, but it isn’t imminent.

Rubicon,

Thank you for your reply. “Defenses have also evolved and are much more effective than they were in the 70s and 80s.”

I totally agree and I might add, Offenses have also evolved and are much more effective than they were in the 70’s and 80’s. So has the Special Teams. Of course, we are talking about those other theams that we once were as good as or better than, but no longer are, because we have not. We keep doing the same that once worked for us but no longer does.

In the 70’s and 80’s, we were innovative, while other teams were not and that combination brought us success over those other teams. Now the other teams are innovative and we are not which brings those teams that are successful over us.

The innnovation of than, under LE was the passing game that kept everyone off guard. The big question for us now that the passing game, as we once owned it, is no longer innovative, what KNEW TYPE OF INNOVATION, CAN WE COME UP WITH NOW?

" I expect BYU at some point to be de-certified by the accrediting institutions, which means that college football will be the least of our worries. BYU degrees will be worthless. The two are linked, though: hatred for the Church bleeds over into hatred for BYU. "

Maybe it is time to question our own behavior. Why do people hate us more than they do the Babptist, the Methodist, The Presbyaterian, the Nazarine, the Catholic, the 7 Day Adventist, the Christian Science, to name a few, and the others?
Is it our arrogance? Is it our lack of ability to say nothing if we can not say something nice about others? Is it because we since the beginning and on going now, always find someone to target as not as good as our main flow, instead of including them into our mainflow as equals, leaving all judging to God as we are commanded to do? "Judge not, lest ye be judged? Is our constant judging of others, causing others to judge us? Can we learn anything from this,or should we just continue to blame others for being predjudice against us?

You explained very well what you meant in your previous post that confused me. Thank you. I did enjoy this post, and as always, I learn from what you have to say, even when I do not totally agree.

Ron

Sun Dance, Ilke your posting and find it impossible to find anything that I do not like about it. You leave me speechless as there is nothing I can say to add to it, to take away from it or change in anyway. You speak as I feel and as I believe. Keep posting. Thank You. Ron

Ron, I really appreciate your passionate fandom, and your deep desire for BYU to be competitive in the upper echelons of NCAA football. We all want that; it’s just a matter of to what degree and what we would be willing to do, or give up.

We’re all on the same team, though!

Rubicon,

Thank you for your respectful reply.

Yes, I agree that each of us are passionate fans of our BYU Cugars and traditions.
I also agree that we go in different paths to achieve that which each of us want to achieve.

I think, that each of us, traveling in the different paths see differently that which is ( giving up) for the success that we want our team to have or instead of giving up, (enhancing) that which we have already, in the pursuite to accomplishing those achievements.

Is the glass half full or is it half empty?. It’s the same glass. It’s the same quanity. It’s a different way at looking for solutions. One of us wants to keep doing the same things that we have always done successfully in the past, but no longer works now, while the other wants to explore what changes could possibly be made for the benefit of the team, that would not go against morality, legality, or doctrine. I will never be convienced that we can not improve our situation if we are willing to look at the situation with an eye for improvement.