Anybody watch the game?

Unfortunately, this team hasn’t made a run this season against caliber teams that will be in the tournament, unless you count the missed shot by Stanford a run. I would rather see them in the NIT where they could get a run going. I would rather watch the possibility of a win or two in the NIT than a one and done (and perhaps an embarrassing one and done) in the NCAA. It was fun for me to watch the team go to the final four in the NIT. Haven’t had that much fun watching the last Big Dance games.

The NIT is like kissing your sister. The only one to shoot for is the NCAA. If we start a run from this point and show we aren’t at our peak, then winning the WCC tournament would put us in the NCAA and we then should be there.

BYU is in a bad way. They are not playing sound ball, the week off did nothing for the team’s woos. This SDU game has to be the poorest coaching job I have ever seen out of a Rose team…It is as if everyone has quit. Where is the team leadership?

If this is how the team feels, just finish the season and hope that there is no invites. Coaching is just not there.

Well Scott, we ain’t kissing the Prom Queen this year!

Just relax guys, no shocker here, at least we are comoetative most nights. It’s a new era of basketball, and we should just embrace who we are in that era.

Watched a sped up replay. From what I saw we played very poorly. As someone said below, Rose’s coaching for this season has been poor with complete underdevelopment of any inside game, the 4 guard “weave”, lack of defensive blocking out/rebounding and general too often lose passing.

Hope we get off of the ref thing. Refs didn’t lose the game - BYU is just playing real bad right now. It’s not the effort, which is fine. Just flat out lousy execution on both ends of the court.

I was the one that talked about refs. I didn’t see the game so my comments on the officiating don’t really apply. They weren’t specific to this game anyway, just general observations over many years of watching BYU play.

I saw weaknesses in this team from the beginning and their inability to win close ones was an omen. It has evolved into something much worse because the team hasn’t improved at all. Maybe Scott is right about his peaking comments. They “peaked” a long time ago, if that is what SG wants to call it. It is pretty frustrating to watch.

This team has been going down since the month of January began. Four guards and no inside presence doesn’t win many games these days, even in the rec-WCC. I didn’t see or hear the game. All I did was watch scoreboard bball while I watched the BYU women’s team beat USD by four points. I kind of figured that the guys lost because I saw, by scoreboard watching, that we were losing out lead and it looked like the recent present scene where we have a lead and run out of gas. I had opes that the guys won, but then I looked at this Board and saw the news. Interesting tune of how the headlines tend to say how well two subs played and that they did so in the process of losing to USD. Sounds like homering news articles, kind of like the WCC officiating.

Maybe BYU ought to quit the WCC and go indy in basketball too.

Nurnst: Can you really imagine this team, as now constituted, making a run in the NIT? I can’t.

What does the word “Comoetative” mean? Is that something to do with the WCC and how the officials teat different teams that are name Gonzaga or St. Mary’s or USF?

Rudi: I can take your word for what you posted about the BYU playing this year. I especially agree with your remarks about Rose’s coaching this year. But I also stand by my comments about the officiating in the WCC. With maybe one or two exceptions the WCC officiating in most of the BYU WCC games that been lackluster at most and terrible at best described. I believe that other teams may have the same issues with the officiating. Perhaps it is that the WCC may only be able to attract the least experienced and least competent officials because the best ones are in the “Power 5” conferences and receive more compensation than the WCC pays. I don’t know for sure, but from what I have seen in the past three years or whatever it is that BYU has played in the recWCC, the rec league officials are the worst that I have ever seen BYU play under.

1 Like

Coirrection on the 14 minute response to kcblack, the word is “Treat,” not “teat.”

grasshopper: Correction. It should read " “…lost OUR lead,” and " I had “hopes.” Sorry. I sure am gagged by the way this board is set up.

The way they played today, no, I don’t see them making a run in the NIT. But, like Grasshopper (Scott), I would have hope of a run if Austin were to play and play at full strength, if Winder were able to play at full strength, and if there were no more injuries or flu bugs. A lot of if’s…

We allowed 13 offensive boards to a cellar dweller, after allowing 17 to STM. We also allowed 5 uncontested dunks in half court in the 2nd half. Embarrassing lack of any play in the paint on our end of the court. It also hurt that with 5 minutes to go in the game we had attempted 3 free throws. haws was held and bumped nearly every possession but tonight it was not a foul. In the games that the WCC refs decide before the game that holding off the ball on Haws is not a foul, we lose. Fischer’s “intentional” foul was after he too had been held in the neck area coming around a screen with no call. Our guys all looked frustrated. But no good team allows that many offensive boards and dunks in half court. Last year Mika and Austin never allowed that kind of stuff. We are just not very good this year. Period.

Nurnst: Like you said, a lot of ifs.

It’s been a while since BYU had a mediocre season. I guess this is what it feels like. Well, as someone said somewhere on this puzzling board, …(paraphrase) “sit back and enjoy watching Haws make his run and enjoy Winder and whoever else plays well on a given night.” In my days at BYU our men’s team was always in contention. Even when we took second in the old WAC, we won the NIT in 66’. I doubt anything like that will happen with this team. Golly this board is really good at making us correct spelling errors. I guess Big Brother is always watching. I can’t stand this strung out format.

It says a lot of a team when the two best players in the SDU game were Halford and Nixon.

These guys did not run out of gas…they just did not give a crap, hucking up balls like they didn’t care, no bother to make a pass and get a open look.

They just don’t care. I did not see one leader (Haws, Winder or KC) say a single word at any point. Something is very wrong here and it may be that they are willing to lose to prove a point to the coaches.

1 Like

chris - what point would they be trying to prove?

I watched the final shot attempt by KC and am baffled at why he didn’t use the backboard in that situation. It was an open look layup for crying out loud! If he goes glass on that one it is almost a sure make.

This team is really maddening… no sense of purpose, no rhythm, etc. and apparently no leadership. There has to be somebody on the floor who keeps it together.

1 Like