And the starting QB for BYU will be.....drum roll

Interesting comments by Lamb. Im surprised about Hoge’s possible switch. All this leaves is a big mystery. I just wasnt impressed by Critchlow last year, but maybe he has gotten his feet under him now. So now its a 3 man competition. It would be nice to see Wilson, but its asking a lot for an 18 year old. With Hoge out my vote goes to Critchlow with Mangum as backup and Wilson redshirting and perhaps Hall 3rd string. Interesting

Surprise surprise. Ooo well the plot thickens. Hopefully the OL is up to the task or Mangum or Critchlow- neither one will last. Then Wilson gets an early baptism. Thats the way I see it. Better hang on to Hoge at qb-just in case😉

I like Critchlow as the starting QB because he seems to have the physical and mental abilities to lead the team. I really loved Tanner Mangum in 2015. But because he was initially relegated to backup in 2016, it appeared to me that Mangum seemed to lose his confidence in 2017. I think that because he lost confidence in 2016 he couldn’t get it going in 2017. I believe that he had some pretty good numbers in 2017, but he was had by most defenses in 2017 and showed a lack of confidence to accomplish what was necessary in the clutch. I see Mangum as a backup in 2018.

We have to keep in mind that Critchlow was thrown in without any game experience and he won two games on the road. I watched him in spring scrimmage you look good like the only guy that can make the tough passes but then we don’t know what Tanner is going to be able to do now that he is healthy and stronger. Tanner may start but Critchlow will be running the show at some point in the future

nice call and a safe one. You can’t replace 29 games worth of experience. I will also point out that Sitake told the media that he would not be jerking Tanner out if he makes mistakes…He doe not want Tanner to be “Looking over his shoulder”. I think this is the wise choice both in choosing Tanner and letting him know that he can make mistakes and still have the coaches confidence.

Within reason, though, right? What if Tanner is just like last year — no chance of many first downs, 3rd and long on every set of downs, complete futility? How long do you stay the course with that so that he doesn’t feel like he’s on a leash?

At some point (sooner rather than later, if it looks like shades of last year), you have to make a change just to try something different.

If Sitake stays the course too long with utter futility under center, he will get fired. Last year was that bad, and he, himself, doesn’t have a long leash. I’ve mentioned our wealthy booster who wants us to go 0-12 so Sitake gets fired. More will join that extreme camp if there is utter offensive futility this year.

It’s too bad we have the really difficult front-loaded schedule, but that’s the way it is.

And what about that LV Bowl against Utah, during that bad 1st Qtr game? What was it, 4 Interceptions with additional fumble from Canada? Will Coach Kalani Sitake will stay the course keeping TM in? If that happens, I will turn off the TV and go to bed or fall asleep anyway like what happened last year “2017.”

Mangum did have an outstanding three quarters after the debacle against Utah, nearly pulling out the win. That was a long time ago, though. He was a completely different person last year from the year before. Can anyone honestly see him leading such a comeback today? I hope to be proven wrong.

We simply cannot afford to get behind like that — much more so than in years past). We have struggled to get first downs and yardage on the early downs, and it gets worse when playing from behind because then they sit on the passing game (and our running game is anemic, anyway). If we get down by 35 in the first quarter now, we’re absolute toast. It’s not like Ty Detmer bringing us back against Penn St.

Okay guys…
Lay off Mangum, he was not the whole problem.

Steve Young is an Hall of Famer in both in College and the NFL, few people remember exactly how horrible his performance was while he played for TB. he went to SF and had a good front line and he ended up being a hall of famer.

What was the difference? The O-line. If you go back and look at my posts, you will see all last year I was upset about the lack of fundamentals from the front line. Then add to that, Mangum would throw to the receivers and they would drop the ball.

this year Grimes has DEMANDED execution, as well as accountability during fall camp, you would often see after practice the entire offensive unit doing up/downs for not executing or making mistakes.

So while, I am in the wait and see mode, I think Tanner is going to shut down all these negatives posts by people. Last year was not Tanner fault, it was lack of coaching and not accountability of the players.

1 Like

Yes he will…and no, not likely to happen.

That is why BYU went with the veteran, the safe bet. To avoid all the mistakes a true fr. will make. Tanner is not going to do the stuff he did as a younger version. The Senior from Eagle Id will not make a lot of mistakes…now could he freeze or hesitate? Yes he could but this is the reason why Sitake told the media that he “Did not have to look over his shoulder if he made a mistake out there”. You have to play loose and you have to forget about the last play in any high level sports.

Tanner has 100% of my support. Go Cougs.