A glimpe into the mind of Grimey

New offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes believes the most important trait in a quarterback is his competitive spirit. Second is accuracy. Third is toughness. Weighing in at fourth is another coveted characteristic: his brain.

“You at least have to have a guy, if he can’t outrun people, is athletic enough and has enough feel and moxie to move around the pocket, escape pressure and extend plays with his legs and deliver the ball down the field.”
Again, Grimes said there are different types of athleticism (speed and size). “But a guy has to have at least one of those things if not both.”
Size and height in a quarterback are nice also, he said, but it isn’t absolute. “I’d like to have a guy with both of those but it isn’t necessary for him to be successful.

When Kalani and Ty Detmer came to Provo, I HAD THE HIGHEST OF HOPE; I had the highest of expectations; I had the highest amount of confidence that any fan could possible have.

Two years later, with the coach changes, I remain with some hope, some positive expectations, and some confidence, and with lessons learned, I remain very, very, very, cautiously optimistic, somewhat.

How about Joe Chrichlow?

I am waiting to see how this change of OC (Grimes) will affect Tanner.

Will we see the Tanner from two years ago or the one last year?

Hopefully, Grimes can get him headed back in the right direction.

Where is what we know…Grimes wants a duel threat QB. Does that mean Tanner’s days at BYU are over? Will Hoge be the starter? Grimes likes the Corner Canyon kid. Here is a list of QBs
BYU’S POSSIBLE QUARTERBACKS IN 2018

Tanner Mangum, Senior

Beau Hoge, Junior

Joe Critchlow, Sophomore

Kody Wilstead, Freshman

Koy Detmer Jr., Junior

Zach Wilson, Freshman

Stacy Conner, Freshman

Jaren Hall, Freshman

of the list, Hoge, Hall, Wilson, Conner are all guys familiar with spread and option offenses.

I think Critchlow is the man. He has good size and seems to follow a scheme. I really liked Mangum in his first year. But I think that putting him second string QB in 2016 really took away his confidence. He even talked about some mental confidence problems in 2017. To me Critchlow is the man of the present and future of BYU football. Beau Hoge is a possibility, but will he be healthy enough in 2018?